• Optional@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    6
    arrow-down
    5
    ·
    1 day ago

    If the article is correct, it says the reporting from Hamas itself has revised it’s numbers to remove a lot of women and children (leaving the ‘combat-aged men’ which is why that weird phrase) from the casualty reporting.

    I don’t know if that’s true or false, I’m just saying the org in question is pointing to Hamas’ own reporting, not saying they did their own.

    • IndustryStandard@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      14
      arrow-down
      1
      ·
      1 day ago

      Hamas has not revised their numbers.

      Can you link to the 'Hamas source" this American org is supposedly citing? Your comment looks like a heap of misinformation.

      • Optional@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        6
        arrow-down
        4
        ·
        1 day ago

        Sure, here’s the relevant quote from the Telegraph article about this:

        The casualty lists are released as PDFs by the Hamas-run Gaza ministry of health, which has been cited by international media as a source for fatality figures in the enclave since the start of the war.

        That first quote link goes to an article which says:

        The authors estimate that some 64,260 people are likely to have died as a result of trauma between 7 October 2023 and 30 June 2024, a 41 per cent increase on the 37,877 deaths estimated by the Palestinian Ministry of Health in Gaza.

        So we take the Palestinian Ministry of Health as the authority here (not that guy’s non-profit in the OP, which is my point). Per an AP article from Nov '23:

        The ministry is the only official source for Gaza casualties. Israel has sealed Gaza’s borders, barring foreign journalists and humanitarian workers.

        An article published in Jan 2025 in The Lancet says no evidence that the MoH numbers are inflated.

        So if they’re the only source, and the Lancet article says their numbers are trustworthy, why the lowered estimates? The OP article says:

        March 2025 casualty update had removed thousands of people it previously listed as having been killed last year.

        So, it’d be a matter of looking at the MoH March 2025 report and comparing it to, presumably, Feb 2025? And there’s the problem - I can’t find any reporting. The official site stops at 2023, and web search is enshittified to the point that I don’t know how to find the actual report.

        Reuters posted this story on March 1 2025 that says the Palestinian Ministry of Health’s last full casualty report was in October 2024.

        Which seems to be echoed by the original OP claim, ““Hamas’s new March 2025 fatality list quietly drops 3,400 fully “identified” deaths listed in its August and October 2024 reports – including 1,080 children. These “deaths” never happened” - note the Oct 2024 date there.

        So - the story is about the Palestinian Ministry of Health’s casualty numbers. Mainly because they’re the only authoritative source for casualty numbers due to it being the only “allowed” authority to report on them.

        Oh and the MoH is run by Hamas, that’s the “Hamas source” part of it.

        • IndustryStandard@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          14
          arrow-down
          1
          ·
          1 day ago

          This is rather old Hasbara.

          At one point Hamas released the list of fully identified Palestinian blunt trauma (bombed or shot) victims.

          This means if a Palestinian child comes in without anyone knowing who it is, the blunt trauma child victim count goes +1 but the list of identified victims does not.

          The reason that the official Hamas count is a heavy undercount is because it does not count victims of disease and starvation caused by Israel starving the Gaza strip.

          • Optional@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            2
            arrow-down
            3
            ·
            1 day ago

            So why did they remove so many from the count? Thousands?

            How they count them isn’t at issue is it?

            • IndustryStandard@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              8
              arrow-down
              3
              ·
              edit-2
              1 day ago

              Because they do not know the name of the killed person.

              The people have not been removed from the counted bodies list. The identified bodies list is shorter than the counted bodies list.

              How does this translate to “Hamas admits 72% of those killed a combat ages males.”?

              New question, why do you think Jerusalem post cites some random in New York instead of Hamas’ own numbers if this is their source?

              • Optional@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                3
                arrow-down
                4
                ·
                edit-2
                1 day ago

                Because they do not know the name of the killed person.

                Presumably that’s been in play since the start of the war. It can’t be they’ve know the names of everyone up until last month.

                From the Telegraph article: “The Hamas lists contain information such as names and ID numbers, and can be filled in by anyone with a link to the Google form for the document.”

                How does this translate to “Hamas admits 72% of those killed a combat ages males.”?

                From the Telegraph article, “The demographics are the most important thing in all this. We’ve heard the claims that about 70 per cent of the deaths are women and children, and these lists, especially the most recent, show that’s complete nonsense,”

                And then: “About 72 per cent of fatalities aged 13-55 are men, which is the rough age range of Hamas combatants”

                So the word “admits” is doing some unfair lifting there, but the main point of the OP article is that the MoH revised their casualty numbers by removing some 3,200 “fully identified” names, including 1,080 children.

                The obvious way to check this would be to look at the actual MoH reporting - which is what I can’t find anywhere. They must be somewhere but I don’t know where.

                • IndustryStandard@lemmy.worldOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  5
                  arrow-down
                  3
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 day ago

                  Hamas does not use 13 year olds as soldiers. This makes absolutely no sense and your comment is complete lie. It is clear you are here to spread an agenda and are not arguing in any good faith.

                  The Hamas list also did not change. The person from New York just made up bullshit by comparing different lists to eachother and pretending they were the same.

                  A google search shows they are likely using the same lie as the previous time as reports from today cite the same misinformation Zionist think tank.

                  • Optional@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    4
                    arrow-down
                    2
                    ·
                    1 day ago

                    This makes absolutely no sense and your comment is complete lie.

                    You mean the quoted comment.

                    It is clear you are here to spread an agenda and are not arguing in any good faith.

                    My agenda is finding those reports. My faith is good AF.

                    The Hamas list also did not change.

                    Okay, that’s your claim at odds with the articles, so please show they didn’t change - please just show the Palestinian Ministry of Health casualty numbers with demographics for Feb 2025 and March 2025.

                    I’m ready to accept that they didn’t change, but I can’t find them at all, that’s my point. If you know where they are, link them.

                    My guess is that you don’t know where they are and are just pissed that an Israel-supporting article is calling out stats for being false. I would be pissed too if I knew that was false.

                    So again, we’re looking for proof of a decrease (or, as you say, no decrease - whichever it is) in Palestinian Ministry of Health casualty figures from the early part of this year, with the demographic details. Please find.